I was responsible for the majority of the base materials for foliage used throughout Gears 5. I maintained the feature set and worked with our environment artists to solve a variety of issues. We started with Speedtree and built a custom wind solution and custom set of base materials.
Some of the included features:
- Variable wind animation throughout CPU driven category changes.
- Per asset (per category) wind animation tuning.
- Leaf color tinting, with localized transition colors.
- Material based fake sub-surface scattering and ambient occlusion.
- Leaf distance alpha erosion for overdraw performance.
- Detail texture maps.
- Localized bending from character and vehicle interactions.
Frozen Foliage Material:
Multiplayer Optimized Version: